[DWJ] The Game

Colin Fine colin at kindness.demon.co.uk
Tue Mar 27 03:36:35 EDT 2007

Minnow wrote:
> Colin wrote:
>

>>> Otter left a lovely great spoiler space

> {none of what follows is DWJ ex cathedra stuff: "it's my own invention"...)
>
> I can't think why Troy got lost, or rather why he needed to be lost with no
> explanation.  It's clear that Hayley has to play the Game alone that last
> time, but why it was done mysteriously I don't know.  It's like Tollie and
> telling: he says he already has, and it's clear he must have because Mercer
> is on the phone, but he is still threatening to tell as if he hadn't yet
> when he gets back with the Roc's egg.  That's confusing.

Thanks, I thought there was something that didn't quite work out about
Tollie telling, but I hadn't put my finger on it.

> About Mercer not having suspected, though: Mercer was a bit of a trickster
> himself, so perhaps he is happy enough to not-know what they are up to
> unless he is actually *told* and has to take notice?  Until his bratty son
> goes and makes it official he could wink at it and claim "oh I never
> realised" if Jolyon asked?  He didn't rush to get on the phone when he was
> told, after all: he finished painting the ceiling first, and gave them time
> for the last and all-important round of the Game.

OK, that makes sense.
>> I suppose one of the things I'm saying is that the quest was a bit too
>> easy (in that the plot-token she needed just happened to be available in
>> Asterope's house). But then, perhaps that's the mythosphere working!
>>

> But consider too, that Hayley has to realise that this Scot called Ryan is
> Orion really, so it's a Quest Object requiring that one solve a Riddle, and
> as such legitimate.  She's done the derring-do, now she has to use her
> brain as well.

But that was just memory and recognition, not brain-work.
>> Was anybody else puzzled by 'at least a lightyear of rushing' on p. 106?
>> Has Diana just Got It Wrong, or am I missing something? (Yes I know you
>> could at a pinch use a distance in such a phrase, but if she means a
>> light year, it's much too big).
>>

> In the same sequence "stars streaked past", and at the bottom of page 106,
> Hayley sees the stars forming into the Great Bear and "knew she was nearly
> home", and then sees the Solar System from outside, so who knows how far or
> for how long she has been being a comet?  "It went on for ages"...
> literally?  Time and space generally play games in such circumstances, like
> the E Nesbit rule that time spent being a Hero in another world doesn't
> count in this one *unless you don't behave like a hero*, at which point
> time starts to run again in this world too and you *don't* get back when
> you left, but hours or days later.

Actually, the whole treatment of the solar system is  mythospheric,
though being a modern myth it is easier to mistake for reality. There is
nowhere in the universe from which one could see the solar system as
Hayley does on p. 107 - Grandad's computer notwithstanding. I doubt that
there is ever a time and place from which more than one planet can be
seen as a solid body rather than a point of light more or less
indistinguishable from the backdrop of stars, and certainly never more
than two.

Colin