[DWJ] The Game

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Mon Mar 26 22:27:50 EDT 2007

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007, Minnow wrote:

|Colin wrote:
|
|>> Otter left a lovely great spoiler space

|It just *does* have to be a star from Orion's bow, I fear (though the
|phrase makes me think of "like an arrow from a bow", so maybe in some way
|it is also an arrow and needs to be one to penetrate his hide?)  Once
|someone *says* "you have to do this while walking only on the squares of
|the pavement and not on the lines", then that's what the Rule is
|thereafter; Flute says that's what is needed, so that becomes the Rule.

There's something to that, but there still ought to be some
internal logic to the metaphysics of it.  I put this down to
"novella, doesn't have to make as much sense", which is the
external equivalent of "Flute said so, so it's true".

|Actually and far more seriously, she is meant to give it to Flute as
|payment for the golden apple; she doesn't, because she uses it to turn
|Jolyon into a planet.  So presumably she still has a debt to pay, unless
|Flute is simply using her as his agent all the way through, which I suppose
|is possible.

That's what I assujmed was happening.

|About Mercer not having suspected, though: Mercer was a bit of a trickster
|himself, so perhaps he is happy enough to not-know what they are up to
|unless he is actually *told* and has to take notice?

This makes sense -- I assumed (once I got to the Note at the end,
since I bothered to figure out the Pleaides and Hesperides but
nobody else) that Mercer was telling not because he sides with
Jolyon but because it's his *job*.  He is the messenger, after
all.

I admit I've been too colored by Xena's Autolycus, who's played
by Bruce Campbell and is extremely sympathetic, to buy Tollie as
Autolycus the Whiny Brat.  I did like all the incarnations of
Sysiphus, though (although "Cyril Foss" was not a name
transformation I liked particularly, unlike, say, "Luke").

-deborah
--
Sir! I protest! I am _not_ a merry man!
		--lt. worf