[DWJ] Not Got The Game Yet *sobs*!

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Mon Mar 26 21:00:03 EDT 2007

Oh, let's see here.  You could be "Cele" [rhymes with 'seal'] or "Celly"
['selly'] or "Esti" [or "Este"] or "Tia".  That's to start with.

You can also be anything else.  If you think I was named "Otter"
by my parents, you can think again.  I changed my name legally
a few years ago, because while I was happy enough with my
middle and last names, my first name was an abomination to me.
To my parents' credit, they didn't call me by it [except on those
occasions when they used my whole formal name in a threatening
tone].

Now, "Guillaumette" [which should be outlawed or something]
produces "Gilly" or whatever you like.

On Mar 26, 2007, at 2:57 PM, Farah Mendlesohn wrote:

> Ah, the joy of parents who choose names "so they can't be shortened".
>
> Farah
>
> On 26/03/07, Celestia Godbehere <ayewards at hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Yup, Celestia has always been my name, and it's quite horrible to live
>> with
>> as it refuses to be shortened properly. It has given me lots of
>> sympathy
>> for
>> anyone with similarly creative parents (poor Maree Mallory), but it's
>> better
>> than Guillaumette, which is what my parents nearly called me.
>> Thanks to everyone who posted with help on how to get The Game,
>>
>> Celestia
>>
>> >From: "Belben, Philip (Energy Wholesale)" <Philip.Belben at eon-uk.com>
>> >To: "Diana Wynne Jones discussion" <dwj at suberic.net>
>> >Subject: RE: [DWJ] Got The Game!
>> >Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 18:02:55 -0000

>> Merlin
>> >
>> >I'm having similar luck (or do I mean lack?).  My local bookshop,
>> after
>> >I gave them the ISBN someone so kindly posted here, said that none of
>> >their wholesalers had heard of it, and even penguin didn't recognise
>> it.
>> >Chris (the proprietor) said that 0142... looks like a Penguin US
>> ISBN;
>> >their British editions usually have numbers in 0140...
>> >
>> >I see from other posts that Forbidden Planet have it.  I have no idea
>> >where my nearest FP might be, but I'm in London next Thursday, and
>> I'll
>> >have a look.  They're not a bad shop for US books, anyway.

I distrust those people who know so well what God
wants them to do because I notice it always coincides
with their own desires.

                                          - Susan B. Anthony