[DWJ] The Game

Colin Fine colin at kindness.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 26 17:59:31 EDT 2007

Minnow wrote:
> Otter left a lovely great spoiler space
>

>> ..
>> Is this enough space?
>> ..
>> So.  Who _are_ Flute and Fiddle?

> According to DWJ they are "a palimpsest": Castor and Pollux, angels (who
> tend to happen in pairs), and Yin and Yang, with bits of every
> pair-of-kings at the back of one's mind including the Spartans about whom
> the less said the better.
>
> Their knowing Baba Yaga is just because *everyone* knows Baba Yaga.
>
> As for claiming to own the Golden Apples of the Hesperides, that's roughly
> along the lines "well, nobody *else* does", which seems to be true because
> the person those were made by and the person they were made for don't ever
> seem to be in the least bothered with them.  Certainly nobody male *owns*
> them in any of the myths and legends: the male role with regard to those
> apples is guarding them and stealing them but not owning them.  So that's a
> red herring, or something.
>

> Does it occur to anyone else that DWJ is being anti-Establishment again?
> As in *Eight Days of Luke*, the Top Gods are not presented as being
> particularly efficient or worthy of worship in this story -- well, all
> right, Jupiter is a complete toad -- and rebelling against them is
> definitely the way to go.  :-)
>
> Minnow

I enjoyed the book immensely, (yes, it's too short) but I did have a lot
of why's. OK, pressing a star to Jolyon turns him into a planet, (a sort
of sympathetic magic) but why does it have to be from Orion's bow? Why
wouldn't just any star do? Why (or how) did Hayley and Troy get
separated at the start of the last game? And if it comes to that, have
they really been playing the Game for ages (literally, we presume)
without Mercer suspecting?

I suppose one of the things I'm saying is that the quest was a bit too
easy (in that the plot-token she needed just happened to be available in
Asterope's house). But then, perhaps that's the mythosphere working!

Was anybody else puzzled by 'at least a lightyear of rushing' on p. 106?
Has Diana just Got It Wrong, or am I missing something? (Yes I know you
could at a pinch use a distance in such a phrase, but if she means a
light year, it's much too big).

On another tack, was anybody else reminded of Robert Holdstock's
'Mythago Wood'? There's not much in common with the plot, but the basic
idea of a landscape built of story informs them both. Actually in some
ways the second book 'Lavondyss' is closer, because there you have a
girl following music into the Wood. (I haven't read it since it first
came out, so I don't remember much more about it).

Colin