[DWJ] Not Got The Game Yet *sobs*!

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Mon Mar 26 17:18:26 EDT 2007

>> Ah, the joy of parents who choose names "so they can't be shortened".
>>
>> Farah
>>

>That doesn't always work as intended. I used to know a pair of siblings who
>were named Helen and Ian for that precise reason. Except that they were
>known to all as Ronnie and Bedwin, respectively.
>
>Ania

I wouldn't have said that those were exactly short forms of the original
name, though?

Nell is the usual "shortening" for Helen, historically.  I suppose it went
Helen -> Ellen, and then an 'n' on the front of the sortening of Ellen, as
in Noll for Oliver or Nancy for Anne...

In Bristol they really *do* shorten names.  A friend of mine went from
Andrew (in Hull) to "Andy", and then "And", and finally "Ay" when he moved
to Bristol.

In fact I'm amazed that Our Charlie hasn't become Cha, living where he does. :-)

Min