[DWJ] The Game

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Mon Mar 26 09:15:15 EDT 2007

|----Original Message Follows----
|From: Otter Perry <ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com>
|..
|..
|..
|..
|..
|..
|..
|Is this enough space?
|..
|..
|..
|..
|..
|..
|..
|So.  Who _are_ Flute and Fiddle?
|
|..........................................................................=
=2E..........

|My first guess was Castor and Pollux, since they trade places in the sky. =
But
|that doesn't seem to fit their other characteristics, so I don't know. The
|theory in the book of yin and yang works too.
|
|Of course, they may not necessarily be anyone specific, but rather several
|someones at once.

that's how I saw them. First of all, because that goes along with
the entire premise of the mythosphere -- namely, that all of the
stories in common (in this case, all of the Twins and sets of
paired entities and concepts) overlay upon one another and become
a single strand. But also, because their knowledge of Baba Yaga
brings them outside of being strictly members of the Greek/Roman
mythos, and puts them back more generalized with pairs again.

Now I'm thinking about pairs of characters, specifically in the
other mythic books. In Dogsbody, stars with companions. In eight
days of Luke, Luke and his wife (not that she seems very close to
Luke, but it is clear that she is mythically paired with him in a
fairly overwhelming eternal way, holding that bowl, and all). I
can't really think of anyone in Homeward Bounders. (Him and his
rock? *g*)

-deborah
--
What is an 'evil shape', I wonder?  Could a triangle be evil, for
example?  Are some kind of triangles decent and God-fearing,