[DWJ] The Game - dedication and cover

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Sat Mar 24 15:51:21 EDT 2007

DWJ has finally got *her* copies (we mostly saw it before she did) and is
slightly storbumfurkled.  She loves the cover, but it was strange meeting
it for the first time.

She dedicated the book to her grand-daughter Frances.

Her editor in America hasn't met Frances, and Rick Berry the cover-artist
certainly hadn't.

The picture of Hayley on the cover isn't a portrait of Frances, any more
than Hayley in the book is modelled on Frances; the features are not those
of Frances; it just does look very like her from the stance and the general
feeling of it.

DWJ didn't say this when she showed it to me, but when I said "But that's
Frances!  I mean, it isn't really but doesn't it look like her!" she was
very relieved because it meant she wasn't beginning to go off her rocker.

She thought the List might like to know about this strangeness.

By the way, if anybody wants to know what "wriggly hair" is like, the cover
of *The Game* shows you what it's like when it's long; when it's short it
sticks out sideways more because the weight of the ends doesn't pull it
downwards so much.

Minnow

ps: now the author has her copy, do we start to discuss the book?