Word Association Re: [DWJ] Got The Game!

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Tue Mar 20 09:16:50 EDT 2007

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007, Robyn Starkey wrote:

|I kind of gave up on Pierce after the first book in the last series which had
|way too much of a rape/fantasy feel for me. I saw that one the other day, and
|wasn't sure whether to try it or not. Are you recommending?

I liked it, though like all Pierce books, it was flawed.
Actually, I was telling a friend of mine how frustrating I
sometimes find Tamora Pierce, because her writing is extremely
imperfect, but she deals with some fairly complex issues in ways
that most other fantasy books don't. So, for example, I felt that
the really fascinating touches of the moral ambiguity and
complexities of colonialism and post-colonialism which arose in
the Trickster books were severely weakened by a too-fast story
and a completely nonorganic (and unusually traditionalist, for
Pierce) romance.

In the case of Beka Cooper, the book really plays with questions
of right and wrong. Back in the Alanna days, Tortall was a very
much good versus evil society, where the forces of law
corresponded almost completely with the forces of good and order,
and there wasn't much moral ambiguity there. In Cooper's world,
it's much more complicated than that. The lines between policemen
and Mafia-style protection societies are much shakier, and
criminals are condemned by the characters not so much for being
criminals, but for not holding up the bargains they make with
their people.

Really rich stuff. Except, Pierce being Pierce, she takes
shortcuts with the writing and the characterization. A little too
much magical assistance, a little too much Mary Sue in the
construction of Beka. It wouldn't frustrate me nearly so much as
the books didn't have so much freaking potential.

So yes, I'd say I recommend the book.

-deborah
--
I need to bond with you.  It's part of my therapy.