[DWJ] Cart and Cwidder

Aimee Smith aimees001 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 20:51:10 EDT 2007

Oh dear, and I'm late joining in again.
For a while there I was trying to post wonderful and marvellous
things for various discussions.
Now, thanks to a miracle worked by Deborah, I can play catchup.
Here was my two cents about Cart and Cwidder. Anyone else feel the same?

Deborah, Thankyou for that family map! I shall reread next time with
that in one hand, just to sort it all out! :)

I also find C&C discomforting, and couldn't put my finger on why when
I first read it some years ago. My initial reaction was in line with
Moril's - which is how it was designed, I suppose.
Minnow (and I think Susannah) have managed to say things admirably
and much in line with what I think.

I find it astounding and wonderful how DWJ manages such difficult
topics with such dexterity. Without preaching or anything too: it's
just life, presented as it is, and you don't always know the reasons
why things are until you look back on them afterwards. That's how a
lot of her books work for me: I never expect to know what's going on
until the end. It takes restraint to paint such large things with
such a tiny brush. In life, as in a DWJ book, you can't spot the
clues and the red herrings until you look at them over your shoulder.

Does this make sense? I guess I'm saying it's ultra-realism? Really
Clever, anyway.
I don't read crime fiction, but is this what crime fiction is like?
Only, I think in crime fiction you're supposed to guess the ending.
With DWJ I never can (except to say that there'll be chaos)!

I adore Dalemark because of the absolute solidity of the worlds, and
the awesome sense of history. It reminds me of why I'm a history
teacher.
The glossary/notes at the back are AWESOME fun! It felt like
Christmas, putting it all together after reading the books.

Thankyou, DWJ.
Aimee.