[DWJ] Viola Jokes

Susanna Victoria dragonflygreen11 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 27 13:00:34 EDT 2007

Sally Odgers wrote:

>Um... Fire and Hemlock? Who played the viola? (Too idle to seek out my
>copy.)

IIRC, it was Ann (Tan Audel).  When Polly is watching the Dumas Quartet practice in Bristol, she notices that having to hold on to the big viola with her chin makes Ann look very serious.  It takes Polly a while to be able to hear the viola among the other instruments (I have the same problem).  Tan Audel's particular gift was for memory...any particular connection with the viola there?

I love that little interlude with Polly listening to the quartet, and I have always thought that DWJ's description of the violins as sounding like lime juice was the most perfect expression of how violins sound that I had ever heard.

Susanna

~~~~~
Let the heart complete the pattern.