[DWJ] cwidders

ANDREW BARTON andrew.157barton at btinternet.com
Tue Jun 26 18:47:55 EDT 2007

Bettina said...

> The new translation is btw called "Die Spielleute von Dalemark". I 
> properly translate Spielleute, my dictionary indicates wandring 
> players/musicians...
  Dorian E. Gray:

> I don't think there is a single word for it in English.  I'd probably 
translate "Spielleute" as "travelling entertainment troupe" or "group 
of wandering players" - both rather unwieldy. <
  I was going to suggest 'strolling players' but 'players' in these phrases usually refers to actors rather than musicians.  Historically the people who called themselves troubadours were mostly aristocrats rather than professional entertainers.  Chambers says that in Scots 'bard' means 'strolling minstrel' but most fantasy readers will expect other senses of that word.  'Minstrel' may be the nearest we're going to get.

More information about the Dwj mailing list