[DWJ] Dalemark instruments

Belben, Philip (Energy Wholesale) Philip.Belben at eon-uk.com
Tue Jun 26 12:13:04 EDT 2007

I was thinking about the recent discussion of the cwidder, and wondering
about the other instruments in Dalemark.  What have we got?

Cwidder = lute
Lenina played a portable organ.  You can buy this from the Early Music
Shop, http://www.e-m-s.com/cat/keyboard/organ/organs.htm
(They also sell lutes, for that matter.
http://www.e-m-s.com/cat/stringinstruments/lutes/lute.htm#ems )
It's so long since I read C&C that I can't remember what other
instruments they played.  All I can remember is the steam organ at
Hannart.

At the autumn festival in Holand they have weird instruments that just
make a lot of noise.  There is the Scarnel, of which I have a mental
picture, but can't remember what it's really called - I think of it as a
Schalmei, but I think that's just German for Shawm.  My mental picture
is of four or so wide-belled shawms of different lengths, with an
arrangement like a trumpet valve to select which one you blow into,
rather than any fingering on the shawms themselves.  (Maybe on a scarnel
they all sound at once!)

And there is the Cruddle, which I don't remember anything about at all,
except that it groans.  One-string bass, perhaps?

Philip.
our prior permission is prohibited.

represent those of the E.ON Group.

Coventry, CV4 8LG.
Registered in England & Wales No. 2366970

Coventry, CV4 8LG
Registered in England & Wales No. 4178314

Telephone +44 (0) 2476 42 4000
Fax +44 (0) 2476 42 5432