[DWJ] i will fade into the background now

Belben, Philip (Energy Wholesale) Philip.Belben at eon-uk.com
Tue Jun 26 07:26:20 EDT 2007

Deborah wondered:

> Are there many non-English root words in the various Internet-ese
> languages? People have been calling it a pidgin, but I'm not sure
> if it counts as a true pidgin with only one root language
> (although I think we are very close to having native speakers). I
> know that there are Japanese root words in some of the dialects
> of Internet-language (otaku, otakin, chan, yaoi etc are term that
> traveled from Japanese to fan English, and thence to the fan
> corner of Internet English; and I assume there are also many
> Japanese words in the Internet chat-speak used in the gaming
> community).

I think you have to look at non-English-speaking communities to observe
this.  I saw an article recently about the abbreviated forms of language
used in mobile phone text messages.  This article was in German
(reprinted in a teaching magazine), and dealt with the forms in use
among German speakers.  Alongside the obvious German words (S = es, n8 =
nacht, und so weiter) were many forms that are familiar English
contractions, which seem to have been adopted by the Germans.  I would
guess that German-language internet chat rooms use a similar mixture,
but I'm not sure of a mechanism for this to propagate into
English-speaking internet use.

Philip.
our prior permission is prohibited.

represent those of the E.ON Group.

Coventry, CV4 8LG.
Registered in England & Wales No. 2366970

Coventry, CV4 8LG
Registered in England & Wales No. 4178314

Telephone +44 (0) 2476 42 4000
Fax +44 (0) 2476 42 5432