OT: Tell me more about the Japanese language - Re: [DWJ] i will fade into the background now

Mark Allums mark at allums.com
Mon Jun 25 13:24:08 EDT 2007

deborah.dwj at suberic.net wrote:
> Are there many non-English root words in the various Internet-ese
> languages? People have been calling it a pidgin, but I'm not sure
> if it counts as a true pidgin with only one root language
> (although I think we are very close to having native speakers). I
> know that there are Japanese root words in some of the dialects
> of Internet-language (otaku, otakin, chan, yaoi etc are term that
> traveled from Japanese to fan English, and thence to the fan
> corner of Internet English; and I assume there are also many
> Japanese words in the Internet chat-speak used in the gaming
> community).

Tangentially, I believe the Japanese didn't contribute particularly much
to internet culture for some reason.  They do have a particular dialect
of emoticon, e.g., ^_^ , which *isn't* looked at sideways.  The chief
Japanese contributions to computing in general (aside from the hardware)
are robots and the programming language Ruby, which was developed in the
1990s by Yukihiro Matsumoto (known to Ruby programmers as "Matz".)  I'm
perfectly prepared to be corrected about this by someone more
knowledgeable, however.  I guess this didn't answer the question.  Oh well.

I am thinking of trying to learn Japanese.  Any advice?

--Mark