[DWJ] i will fade into the background now

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Mon Jun 25 10:28:05 EDT 2007

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007, bethreed at internetspeech.com wrote:

> i'm sorry for the errors in the message. it isn't that i don't know better, it's that i was in a hurry.

I'm going to take this opportunity to say publicly what I have
also said to Beth privately -- people are welcome to post on this
list using casual punctuation, grammar, and capitalization.

I won't deny that, like many people, I find extremely lengthy
messages written using a casual regard for the rules of written
English to be difficult to parse. However, nothing  Beth has
written here has been unclear or difficult to understand.

Many of our lurkers have occasionally spoken up to say "I would
post on the list, but you all seem too smart for me!" This seems
like a good opportunity to tell you that no, we're not. I want to
encourage everyone to post on this list. Plenty of people here
don't speak English as a first language, and our education level
ranges from university professor to high school student. I think
everyone here has something good to contribute and I know I don't
speak just for myself when I say that we'd like to hear from you
all.

Or to put it more casually, "OMG! IS IT CAN IT BE DELURKING TIEM
NOW? N00BS SHOULD POST!!!1! KTHXBAI."

(Okay, maybe entire content-rich posts  about Archer's Goon
written in leetspeak or lolcat would be a bit much. But
seriously, folks, don't let a belief that you can't live up to a
certain standard keep you from posting here.)

-deborah
--
This song is Copyrighted in U.S., under Seal of Copyright #
154085, for a period of 28 years, and anybody caught singin it