[DWJ] Introductions

J.E. Powers jepowers70 at verizon.net
Thu Jun 21 23:51:27 EDT 2007

Authors found or read because of this list: Neil Gaiman, Lois McMaster
Bujold, Clive Barker (horror gives me nightmares, but since no-one told me
that Neil Gaiman was a horror writer and didn't give me nightmares, I'm
slowly trying a few more), Robin McKinley, Jonathan Stroud, Garth Nix.
+++++

I just picked up a new book of short stories, titled WIZARDS (Baker.)  Gaiman and Nix have stories in this book.  Here's a blurb from Amazon:

>From Publishers Weekly
Veteran fantasists weave a variety of imaginative spells in this fine anthology of 18 original wizardry-themed tales. Neil Gaiman's charming opener, "The Witch's Headstone," introduces a boy raised by the dead and offers a sneak peek at a novel-in-progress. An Icelandic bride in modern Maine makes magic in Elizabeth Hand's outstanding "Winter's Wife." Mary Rosenblum, Patricia A. McKillip, Nancy Kress, Terry Dowling and Gene Wolfe notably conjure up diverse and indelible, coming-of-age stories featuring contemporary teens discovering their true natures. Garth Nix successfully mixes English legends in "Holly and Iron." The prophet Elijah appears as the "wizard" of Jane Yolen's "Slipping Sideways Through Eternity." What goes around comes around, even for wizards and monsters in Jeffrey Ford's "The Manticore Spell." Tad Williams, Peter S. Beagle and Orson Scott Card contribute indifferent stories, but overall this magical brew will enchant young adult readers and their elders as well. (May)