[DWJ] Re: Introductions

Maaria Rantala maaria.rantala at iki.fi
Wed Jun 20 08:36:15 EDT 2007

Hello list!

I am now nine digests behind in my list reading, mostly because of the
introductions, I think, so I'd better add mine. :)

I've been on the list almost from the beginning, I think. I'm a lurker
that hardly ever says anything, but the introductions get me to write
almost every year. And I read everything. I really love the discussion
on this list, and I've learned so much from you wise people.

I'm 33 years old and married to a man who doesn't _love_ reading but
reads willingly enough the books I love. We live in Espoo (just next to
Helsinki), Finland. I'm a mathematician (M.Sc (Tech.)) and work for a
company that develops and manufactures X-ray equipment. I'm also
pursuing my Ph.D. studies somewhat on the side.

In addition to reading novels I sing in a choir (and solo too, but
that's mostly in order to learn to sing better in the choir). I also
knit quite a lot (Get Knitted seemed to be a wonderful shop) and sew
occasionally.

My favourite DWJ books are (I think) Deep Secret, Hexwood and Charmed
Life. The first I read was Charmed Life, followed by Fire and Hemlock
and Archer's Goon, all in the 80s in Finnish. When I started reading
novels in English I was so glad to find much more books by her.

Another writer whose books I really love no matter how many times I
read them is Ursula K. Le Guin. Like so many others, I thank the list
for introducing me to Connie Willis (I love her books, although Passage
was a little too capturing for my mental health). Recently I've also
enjoyed for a first time a couple of books by Lois McMaster Bujold
(just got a message from the library that Paladin of Souls is waiting
for me) and by Georgette Heyer (The Masqueraders is also waiting at the
library).

I'm off to a conference in Vancouver on Saturday and will definitely
buy the Game from there! Although I'd rather prefer the U.K. edition,
but I'm not sure I can wait any longer - although I'll visit London in
August, yay! My choir will be the first Finnish mixed choir to have
performed at the Proms festival. :)

Maaria