[DWJ] OT: Book recommendations

Belben, Philip (Energy Wholesale) Philip.Belben at eon-uk.com
Tue Jun 19 04:02:10 EDT 2007

> > > My *dis*recommendation is "Inkheart", by Cornelia Funke, which I
> > > read recently and thought very dull.  The protagonist failed to
> > > protag, the characters lacked personality, and the story plodded
> > > along in such a pedestrian manner that even when things did
> > > happen, they didn't *feel* as if they did.
> >
> > Yes, my daughter (who has read and liked other things by Cornelia
> > Funke) noticed that too, "I wish they'd *do* something!"
>
> It fell into a pattern I've come to identify with far too much modern
> fantasy for children, where the adults do all the important and
> adventurous stuff and the children get to watch. Mary Hoffman's
> Stravaganza fell into this pattern as well: the children await rescue
> in a dungeon. In *proper* kids fantasy, the children should do the
> rescuing [g].

Farah, you've hit the nail on the head!  That's exactly what's wrong
with Inkheart.  And yet Funke gets this exactly _right_ in Dragon Rider!

The reason Dragon Rider was my favourite book of 2005, rather than 2004,
was that in 2004 I tried to read Inkheart in the original German.  A
slow-paced narrative becomes _really_ slow when you need two trips to
the dictionary for each sentence!  I don't think I got beyond the third
page.  This put me off attempting DR, which I'd bought at the same time,
for several months.

Philip.
our prior permission is prohibited.

represent those of the E.ON Group.

Coventry, CV4 8LG.
Registered in England & Wales No. 2366970

Coventry, CV4 8LG
Registered in England & Wales No. 4178314

Telephone +44 (0) 2476 42 4000
Fax +44 (0) 2476 42 5432