[DWJ] Introductions

Elizabeth Evans er.evans at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Jun 18 20:15:43 EDT 2007

 EGH wrote

Congratulations on your MA!  I'm always glad to hear about people
getting graduate degrees several years after college.  My mother
returned to graduate school for an MS and PhD when I was 12, and ever
since then I've been upset that more people don't go for degrees even if
they haven't been in school for a while.  She got a lot of support but
also a lot of criticism for "abandoning" her family in order to focus on
graduate school.

Thanks for your kind words. My own take on studying as a mature student
is that rather than causing me to 'abandon' my family, my study was a
positive influence on my children - it made clear to them that study is
something to be valued rather than merely endured. I returned to study
for my undergraduate degree in 1996 after intermittent bouts at it from
1972, so when I finally graduated with my BA in 2001 it had taken me 29
years. Can't beat the record held by Otter's sister, though.

I've stopped studying for the moment, but next year will be beginning
the MLIS, part-time. It should take me 4 years. I am a bit apprehensive
about it, as it's career training rather that heart learning, so thanks,
Jenny Schwartzberg, for your insights into doing the MLIS. Like you I
have worked in libraries for many years, so it's good to know that even
after this length of time the MLIS will have lots to teach me.

The thought of doing a PhD is always in my mind, especially since a
number of the list members seem to be in the middle of one or have just
finished. It's encouraging to be reminded that real people with similar
interests to mine can still pursue higher learning. How is it all going,
you higher students? (However, since I'm also working and saving for
future retirement the PhD may have to wait till said retirement.)

Regards
Elizabeth.