[DWJ] Dalemark books (was Introductions)

Charles Butler charles.hannibal at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 14:58:02 EDT 2007

On 17/06/07, Minnow <minnow at belfry.org.uk> wrote:

>  I find it hard to work out
> who is a god when, or perhaps at what points who is being a god, but then
> suspect that's part of the point because they mostly don't seem to know
> either...

This is exactly why I *really* like the idea of the mythosphere in *The
Game.* In other respects that book is enjoyable, but goes over fairly
familiar territory; but in the mythosphere DWJ has found a way to get around
the old binary divide between the fantastic and the mundane, with all its
many many segues from one to the other. It's one of the best examples I've
seen - and I admit I'm not as well read in fantasy as some others on this
list - of the difference between the two being presented in analogue rather
than digital terms, as it were, as a matter of placing a reality (or a way
of viewing a reality) somewhere on a spectrum, rather than categorizing it
as EITHER mythical/magical OR not.

This seems to me a very good way of describing experience as lived. In 'The
Heroic Ideal' DWJ describes seeing a schoolgirl sitting in disgrace outside
the headteacher's office after standing up to a bully, and she was shining
with a hero light, like Cu Chulainn (both spelling and memory are subject to
variation). She hadn't found herself in Narnia, but she was inhabiting a
slightly different world from those around her.

If we can take all that for granted, then books such as *The Spellcoats* may
become easier to read. And now, armed with that insight, I shall put it back
on my to-be-reread pile...

Charlie

--
Website: www.charlesbutler.co.uk