[DWJ] OT: Book recommendations

Farah Mendlesohn farah.sf at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 14:26:05 EDT 2007

On 18/06/07, Irina Rempt <irina at valdyas.org> wrote:

> On Monday 18 June 2007, Dorian E. Gray wrote:
>
> > My *dis*recommendation is "Inkheart", by Cornelia Funke, which I read
> > recently and thought very dull.  The protagonist failed to protag, the
> > characters lacked personality, and the story plodded along in such a
> > pedestrian manner that even when things did happen, they didn't *feel*
> as
> > if they did.
>
> Yes, my daughter (who has read and liked other things by Cornelia Funke)
> noticed that too, "I wish they'd *do* something!"
>
>    Irina

It fell into a pattern I've come to identify with far too much modern
fantasy for children, where the adults do all the important and adventurous
stuff and the children get to watch. Mary Hoffman's Stravaganza fell into
this pattern as well: the children await rescue in a dungeon. In *proper*
kids fantasy, the children should do the rescuing [g].

Farah