[DWJ] Introductions

Irina Rempt irina at valdyas.org
Mon Jun 18 14:18:11 EDT 2007

On Monday 18 June 2007, Dorian E. Gray wrote:
> Irina said...
>
> > Other favourite authors: Dorothy Sayers, Connie Willis, early Terry
> > Pratchett
> > (later books are mostly too atheist-preachy for me)
>
> Could you expand on that a bit?  I think I know what you mean by
> "atheist-preachy", but I can't recall seeing that in Pratchett's work.
> What am I missing?

I must have pushed it all the way out of my brain because I can't find an
actual instance (short of rereading books I didn't like much, and there's so
much to reread that I *do* like that I don't want to do that). What I can
recall starts in Small Gods, though SG itself is okay: a firm conviction that
gods are mental constructs, imagination come alive. This in itself isn't
annoying, but when he makes it into tenet and goes into preacher mode based
on it, I can't stand it.

I don't mind people being atheists, though I'm not one myself. I *do* mind
people preaching atheism. I mind people preaching theism too (to forestall
half the list falling over me and pushing me into defensive mode) but not so
much, because it's not so blatantly anti-itself.

   Irina

--
Vesta veran, terna puran, farenin.          http://www.valdyas.org/irina/
http://www.valdyas.org/foundobjects/index.cgi         Latest: 16-Jun-2007