[DWJ] OT: Book recommendations

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Mon Jun 18 14:05:07 EDT 2007

Mark said...

> My recommendation, to a list who likes children's literature, is a science
> fiction series for teenagers, called the Uglies trilogy.  It consists of
> _Uglies_, _Pretties, and _Specials_.  Amazon carries the books, if you
> can't find them locally.  There is also a fourth book forthcoming, it will
> be called _Extras_.

I read "Uglies" (thanks to Hallie for the loan), and thought it was okay,
but very reminiscent of H. M. Hoover - only I like Hoover's work better!

My *dis*recommendation is "Inkheart", by Cornelia Funke, which I read
recently and thought very dull.  The protagonist failed to protag, the
characters lacked personality, and the story plodded along in such a
pedestrian manner that even when things did happen, they didn't *feel* as if
they did.

My recent discovery is Mrs. George de Horne Vaizey, who wrote "girls'
stories" around the turn of the 19th/20th century.  She's reminiscent of
Louisa May Alcott in places - which I like.  A bit "moral" in places, but no
more so than many other writers of that era, and much less so than some.  A
good many of her works are available on Project Gutenberg - I really liked
"Pixie O'Shaughnessy" (a school story), and "Big Game" (family/romance
tale), to mention but two.

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--