[DWJ] Introductions

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 07:47:21 EDT 2007

I'm Hallie, 48 and writing this from Bristol, though that's home for about a
long-weekend-a-month for the moment, the permanent one being in Dublin. I've
been on the list since 1999, and aside from the introductions to other
wonderful books, can credit it with what seems to be the theme of this round
of introductions: a return for a second blast of student life.  I did a BA
with the Open University starting in 2000, and am now doing an MA in
Children's Lit with Roehampton.  And continuing the theme of my own
list-life-enhancement, I also got a distance relationship from the list, to
match the distance learning.  (That'd be the just-introduced himself
Charlie.)

Back in Dublin I have two daughters - Becca (an ex-listee herself) is 20 and
Cara who's 17.  I only discovered DWJ about 10 years ago, while browsing the
library for books to read with the girls.  I thought 'The Lives of
Christopher Chant' sounded an intriguing title and decided to give it a
try.  And that was that.  I had passed up Fire and Hemlock earlier as the
back cover description of Polly's 'gate-crashing a funeral' didn't sound all
that enticing, but it's now one of my very favourites.

Other books I generally talk about on my LJ these days, those being
primarily kids'/teen books.  For the next month or so I expect to be fairly
firmly stuck in the 19th century, in domestic/family/'girls' stories' mode,
until I finish the essay for this module. Don't long and rambling 'thoughts'
about those sound as if they'll make thrilling blog-reading?

Hallie