[DWJ] Introductions

Kyla Mackay-Smith kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Sun Jun 17 21:44:35 EDT 2007

I'm Kyla (not a chosen name; my parents wanted an unusual name)
Mackay-Smith (which I did choose, to change to from Tornheim when I
married my husband last August), 27 years old.  I've lived in the Boston
area all my life; I've been reading DWJ at least since 1988, because I
remember being excited to read "the new one," The Lives of Christopher
Chant; and I've been on the DWJ list since 2000, when Kyra Jucovy, whom I
knew from college, said, "hey, here's this cool piece on Fire & Hemlock
from this cool mailing list."

I am a graduate student in historic preservation, which means that I am
likely to crash the car if I am driving through an unfamiliar area with
lovely old houses and I dislike vinyl siding and "improvements"; and I'm a
copy editor by training and a pedant by parental brainwashing, so I like
grammatical digressions.

I came to DWJ through my mother and older sister, both of whom are avid
readers, and I believe I've read everything of DWJ's published so far
except for Changeover and The Skiver's Guide. (By the way, I found
_Firebirds Rising_, the second Firebird imprint collection of short
stories edited by Sharyn November, and there's another DWJ story in there,
"I'll Give You My Word," which I hadn't heard of before.) My lovely
husband is also an avid reader, and soon after we started dating he let me
borrow his complete Lois McMaster Bujold collection. :^) My dream is to
have a house with enough space for all the bookcases our books require; as
it is, we have bookcases in all four non-bathroom rooms in our apartment.
The paperbacks are two deep.

My favorite DWJ book, for years, was Hexwood; now it's tied with Deep
Secret. And that reminds me that I should really reread those, when I'm
done with Naomi Novik's Temeraire books.