[DWJ] Introductions

Celestia Godbehere ayewards at hotmail.co.uk
Sun Jun 17 13:01:55 EDT 2007

>From: Minnow <minnow at belfry.org.uk>
>To: Diana Wynne Jones discussion <dwj at suberic.net>
>Subject: Re: [DWJ] Introductions
>Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 17:34:21 +0100
>
>Celestia arrived <sproing>
>
> >Hello, I'm only just 17 (having had my birthday on a statistics AS exam
> >*shudders*) and am at the moment worrying about university. Problem is, I
> >don't want to give up either maths or english, but I fear that I may have
> >do so.
>
>Stick to your guns.  My daughter is taking a Maths A-level paper tomorrow;
>the main English A-level papers she took were last monday.  They tried to
>tell her "you can't do that there here" after AS, and she told them she'd
>go somewhere she *could* in that case.
>
> >Perhaps maths with lots of reading around the edges?
>
>She has set her sights on Philosophy.  She did this because she feels that
>maths has to be a consuming passion or there's no point, and in her case it
>isn't, but you might feel otherwise.

That's really interesting, because I was considering Philosophy as part of a
joint degree. I really do like Maths, and I'm going to try and do a whole
Further Maths A-Level next year. That may turn out to be a very bad idea...

> >Anyway, my favourite DWJ book is Deep Secret, but there are lots of close
> >seconds. I have booktrack at my local library to thank for introducing me
> >her, as she was one of the required authors to get a ruler with a picture
>of
> >an aeroplane on it. (I think I still have it somewhere...)
>
>May I tell her that?

Of course you can :)

> >I live in Devon, South-West England, and I know that I'll miss it when I
> >move away...
>
>Devon's a big place, m'dear; whereabouts?
>
>Minnow (just don't say "Ipplepen")

Nope, Torquay. Or Shiphay, to be more specific.

Celestia