[DWJ] dalemark

R.Macrae-Gibson at lse.ac.uk R.Macrae-Gibson at lse.ac.uk
Sun Jun 17 11:16:25 EDT 2007

Oh I didn't know that-that the Ogre died in her original story-would
have been a different book-but would rather have this than fluffy pink
footballs any day! Because of course, no-one dies in Real Life and no
child has ever had any experience of anyone dying...

I do like Caspar's realisation that the Ogre isn't an Ogre after
all-haven't got the book to hand but something about realising how the
Ogre's face doesn't show his feelings or that his voice doesn't.

The other editorial tale I remember is the editor who didn't like
children using matches in Eight Days of Luke-glad that aspect didn't
have to be re-written.

I remember reading loads of 'old' books when younger-having 'old'
details is part of the fun-part of the descriptiveness of the work and
it seems silly and patronising to update everything.

Or actually potentially quite amusing if one was to think of completely
daft ways to get modern stuff into 'old' works. Let's get rid of all
those epistolary novels-they can all be Facebook messages instead etc
etc.

Thanks for the insights, Minnow!

Rowena