[DWJ] Cart and Cwidder (was Introductions)

Susanna Victoria dragonflygreen11 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 17 10:32:26 EDT 2007

Minnow wrote:

>>Susanna wrote:
>>Also, for some reason I don't find the family dynamics in
>>C*C very compelling.

>That might be because there hardly are any, really.  It's a very
>one-person-viewpoint book, isn't it, more about Moril growing into a person
>outside the original family than about the family as it had been?  Moril is
>working it all out as he goes along: he looks at the members of the family
>and tries to decide what they are really like as people, but not what they
>are like as father, mother, brother, sister or in relation to each other
>except as contrasting personalities.  His interest is in how they resemble
>each other or are different, and what each of them has inherited and from
>where.  In some ways he is looking at them not as family but as a group of
>strangers he happens to know rather well.  That's a muddled thought, and
>even more muddling to be living it, but that is how it feels to me.
>
>In fact, the "family" is destroyed early in the book, with Clennen's murder
>and Lenina's immediate re-marriage to Ganner, and then Dagner's being
>removed from the scene and believed dead.  Apart from Brid still being
>around (and being less able than Moril to do things the way he wants them
>done) the only "family" Moril is feeling really strongly about by the end
>is Olob!  Hence his terrible reason for all the killing: he does it for the
>sake of a horse, and he knows that must be wrong.  That horse is all that's
>left of the life he was used to, almost, and no wonder he goes off the deep
>end when Olob is killed.

Um, yes.  What Minnow said.  One of the effects of not rereading C&C very often is that I have a hard time remembering the details of what happens in it.  But all this discussion is jogging my memory.  The way Moril is feeling about his family, and how they behave, and what happens to them are not very pleasant to read about.

Susanna

~~~~~
Let the heart complete the pattern.