[DWJ] dalemark

Irina Rempt irina at valdyas.org
Sun Jun 17 08:46:10 EDT 2007

On Sunday 17 June 2007, Minnow wrote:

> and Irina wrote:
> >I didn't read Drowned Ammet [until] after I'd read everything else, even
> >The Crown of
> >Dalemark, and it *still* had me completely confused.
>
> Whereas I found Drowned Ammet comparatively straightforward, if one allows
> for the deus ex machina aspects.
>
> In fact, blowed if I can see what in it is confusing!  By comparison with
> The Spellcoats, it seems quite a clear narrative to me.

Perhaps I was confused because I thought that it would be magical and mythical
like Spellcoats, or quest-fantasy-like like Cart and Cwidder, and it turned
to be almost historical children's fiction! I kept waiting for great things
to happen, and all the things that *did* happen were politics. I think I can
read it more or less side by side with Cart and Cwidder now, but first I have
to finish A Tale of Time City which I've just started rereading.

> >To heap confusion on confusion, I first read The Spellcoats in what I
> > still call "the atrocious Dutch translation" in which the translator had
> > apparently left out everything that confused *her*, such as most of the
> > religion.
>
> Alack, and what is left?

Exactly.

   Irina