[DWJ] Cart and Cwidder (was dalemark)

Tina liril at gmx.net
Sun Jun 17 08:38:30 EDT 2007

Minnow wrote.... and because of the spoiles, my comments will be below:
> Putting back the spoiler space, 'cos this is a fairly central thing about
> Cart and Cwidder

> Otter wrote:
>
>>> I reread Cart and Cwidder the least, I think,
>>>
>> although I'm not sure why.
>>

> Then Elizabeth:
>
>> Strange - I feel rather like that. I think it's
>> because I find so much of it
>> really sad, and when I'm looking for something to
>> read I remember that and
>> go elsewhere.
>>

> and Esther
>
>>> you find out the mother NEVER LOVED
>>> HIM
>>>

> Farah responded
>
>> I don't think that's true. I think she makes it very clear that she *did*
>> love him, but that the love was burned out under the pressure of a lifestyle
>> she wasn't prepared for, and a personality that was always performing. It's
>> still sad, but it isn't cruel. Quite the opposite in fact.
>>

> I disagree really thoroughly!  This is the raggle-taggle-gypsies-o with
> magical coercion of the feather-bed lady instead of her own free choice.
> Ganner wasn't quite Lenina's 'new-wedded lord', and she hadn't had his
> baby, but he was the man who loved her, and she was about to marry him,
> when Clennan decided that he wanted her and used magic to get what he
> wanted.

and eloquent arguments for this reading, which I cut now.

We've had this discussion before, and while I see your point, I'm still
do not find myself in total accord. It may be that it is because Clennan
and Lenina's story didn't feel like this to me the first time I read it
because I was too young to understand that kind of thing.

But I think my different view has also to do with my interpretation of
the cwidder's magic. I do not think it could be used in the way you
describe it. I think there must have been something in Lenina that could
be spoken to, some part that wanted to "escape" her former life. It may
be that it wasn't what she really wanted, and it may be that she found
out quite soon, but I still don't quite "feel" your reading when I read
the book.

Bettina