[DWJ] Introductions

Mark Allums mark at allums.com
Sun Jun 17 00:40:35 EDT 2007

Hi!  I am Mark Allums, 42, from East Texas.  My occupation at the moment
is "bum".  (I could be described as an unemployed computer science
teacher.)  I am sometimes opinionated, but most times I am meek and a
lurker.  This is partly because I usually find myself with a much more
shallow understanding of a given subject than many of the geniuses on
this list.  I enjoy a good book in any genre, but I prefer science
fiction or fantasy typically.  My favorite book ever is still Tolkien's
_The Lord of the Rings_, but Lois Bujold's _The Curse of Chalion_ made a
big impression on me.  Other authors I read (besides DWJ and Bujold)
include Niven and Pournelle, when they collaborate; Terry Pratchett;
Scott Westerfeld, who seems to be specializing in teen books, lately*;
and even J.K. Rowling.  My favorite DWJ book is _Witch Week_, a
Chrestomanci story.  My favorite movie is _Star Wars_.  A favorite
recent movie is _Serenity_.  My favorite television show is,
unsurpisingly, _Firefly_.  _Buffy the Vampire Slayer_ and _CSI_ are also
well thought of by me.  My main hobby is tinkering with computers, both
hardware and software.  (Right now, I am teaching myself the Ruby
programming language.) From the preceding, you may get the impression
that I am a geek.  Not quite, but almost.  A geek wannabe would be more
precise.  The difference?  Geeks have real skills.

--Mark Allums

* Let me recommend to you his book _Uglies_, and the sequels _Pretties_
and _Specials_.  There is another book forthcoming, _Extras_.