[DWJ] Introductions

Susanna Victoria dragonflygreen11 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 16 14:23:24 EDT 2007

I'm fairly new here (about 1 year of only lurking and a few months of interspersed lurking and posting), and have never properly introduced myself before.  I am 27 years old, single, and have been living in Washington, DC for the past 2 years, where I work in environmental policy (climate change and energy issues).  I grew up in New York City, though, and would like to move back there if I could afford it.  I was introduced to DWJ by my friend Margot in the 5th grade, and quickly became a much bigger fan than she was.  My favorite DWJ books are Fire & Hemlock, Deep Secret, Howl's Moving Castle, and Hexwood.  My brain still doesn't completely understand the ending to F&H, but I've been getting better at it; my heart always understood it.  Other authors I love are Ursula K. LeGuin, Susan Cooper, Robin McKinley, L.M. Montgomery, and Neil Gaiman.  I've recently started reading some Georgette Heyer on the advice of this list, and have been enjoying them very much.

I like that this list is chock full of really smart, nice, funny people, and I'm pleased at the number of grammatical sticklers.

Oh, and about my double-barreled name: chosen name is Susanna, given name is Victoria.  I like Susanna better.

Susanna V.

P.S. Otter Perry wrote:

>I reread Cart and Cwidder the least, I think, although I'm not sure
>why.

I reread Cart & Cwidder the least of the Dalemark books, too.  I never thought much about why before, but I think it's partly because it's a much more straightforward story than the others.  The mythology is less important in it, and part of what I find so wonderful about the Dalemark books is the weaving of history, religion, and myth, and the interaction with the gods.  Also, for some reason I don't find the family dynamics in C*C very compelling.

~~~~~
Let the heart complete the pattern.