[DWJ] dalemark

Irina Rempt irina at valdyas.org
Sat Jun 16 12:36:07 EDT 2007

On Saturday 16 June 2007, Farah Mendlesohn wrote:

> On 16/06/07, Minnow <minnow at belfry.org.uk> wrote:
> > Farah suggested:
> > >You might want  to read Spellcoats before Drowned Ammet or you will lose
> > >a lot of the nuance.
> >
> > Which is interesting, because the publication order was Cart and Cwidder,
> > 1975, Drowned Ammet, 1977, and The Spellcoats, 1979, so DWJ herself read
> > them in an order that must have lost a lot of the nuance.

> That may be the order, but Drowned Ammet had me completely confused before
> I read Spellcoats,

I didn't read Drowned Ammet after I'd read everything else, even The Crown of
Dalemark, and it *still* had me completely confused.

To heap confusion on confusion, I first read The Spellcoats in what I still
call "the atrocious Dutch translation" in which the translator had apparently
left out everything that confused *her*, such as most of the religion. My
daughter has a newer translation, fortunately, or she wouldn't have been able
to read it at nine (now, at eleven, she can almost read it in English).

Must reread. In what order shall I do it? (also must reread Harry Potter,
really, but that's a far less attractive prospect. And we're moving house in
a month and three days. Must paint eighty running meters of bookshelf dark
red.)

   Irina

--
Vesta veran, terna puran, farenin.          http://www.valdyas.org/irina/