[DWJ] Congrats Charlie

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Mon Jun 11 06:28:17 EDT 2007

Charlie explained:

>Yes it's annual, but it seems that a book can be entered up to three years
>after its first publication. And in fact, even past finalists can be
>re-entered, should they happen not to win. Lois Kuznets' book *When Toys
>Come Alive*, for example, lost twice, and won at the third and last time of
>asking. It's an odd system, but I suppose it compensates for the fact that
>some years there'll be several good books published, and other years few or
>none.

Another thing about it: as I understand it, this award is like the
Clarke Award in that the books for the shortlist, and the final winner,
are selected not by a mass popular vote but by a team of people who read
all the books that have been submitted, and add any that they feel ought
to be included into the 'long-list', rather than its relying on merely
whoever happens to have noticed it exists this time round.

Winning it is therefore [a] rather less likely to be influenced by the
38,000 people who having only read one of the books on the shortlist
vote for that one from a position of complete ignorance about all the
others, and [b] clearly a Very Good Thing Indeed because one's work has
been judged in an informed way rather than on an 'ooh it's about
vampires must vote for that' manner.

Good luck, Charlie!

Minnow