[DWJ] Harry

Aimee Smith aimees001 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 03:51:54 EDT 2007

Melissa -

I've been gobbling up your essays since last night, when my internet
started working again.
More, more!
Well done.

Some points that may not need making, but were my opinions anyway:

- James Potter etc were the popular boys, they were bullies. Snape
had an unhealthy interest in Dark Arts. James could not have
understood Snape's childhood and worldview, coming as he did from a
loving family. Lilly's opinion of young James is deserved. I can very
easily see Lupin and Sirius later not wanting to tarnish the memory
of James and themselves in Harry's eyes. Lupin and Sirius knew
themselves and James a long time after this incident - their
recollections would have been through the lens of many years of
improved and heroic behaviour. Teenagers are frequently awful, though
this is no excuse for bullying and not everyone is a bully at 16. But
they can change (I at least have changed since I was 16). Apparently,
they did change, becoming members of the Order, etc, and also judging
by the fact that Lilly married James eventually. She wouldn't have
married a man who was still nasty. My theory is that as Voldemort
rose to power and things got serious, James and the others grew up
even more than they might otherwise have done. As for Snape - that
can wait till you review book 7! Which I can't wait for, by the way!

- Central theme of the books: Oh. Right. That can wait till book 7
review as well.

- What is it about these books that inspire so much discussion? I
wish I could even define my own reactions to/thoughts about it! I
think that's why I am really enjoying these essays: I've had a lot of
these thoughts, and the essays are saving me the trouble of writing
it myself.

:)

(I just cut off the second half of my post and will send it as
another email)

Aimee.