LMB (was Re: [DWJ] Burbling and an introduction)

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Wed Jul 25 13:53:24 EDT 2007

Phil Boswell wrote:

> I would be interested in your reasoning as to how the book "reeked"
> and what you think might have been done any better.

I thought it was uncharacteristically lame in terms of having very
little plot, and what plot there was was extremely predictable (it had a
real Mills and Boon feel); I also didn't really think the development of
the relationship was believable, and it was also very conventional to
the point of being, again, kind of Mills and Boon. I mean, look at the
way Bujold normally does relationships - Miles and Ekaterin, Aral and
Cordelia - where the partners are equal and both bring strengths and
weaknesses. In this book the emotional dynamic was really skewed - naive
young girl in a predicament falls for her protector, and no, I don't
think his physical handicap made up for the imbalance at all.

On top of all of that, it was only half a book. Nothing really happened
(except the oh, so convenient loss of the baby), and the only possibly
interesting thing got delayed until book 2.

robyn