[DWJ] Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Tue Jul 24 10:22:20 EDT 2007

> >Sirius and Remus's explanation for the incident is not convincing to me,
> >amounting as it does to "Kids are jerks, what can you do?" (p. 670-1)
> >Because in my experience, that kind of casual cruelty doesn't necessarily
> >go
> >away with maturity and adulthood.  Sirius's excuse in particular doesn't
> >wash:  "'James and Snape hated each other from the moment they set eyes on
> >each other, it was just one of those things'" (p. 670).
>
> No, it doesn't wash.  But...maybe Sirius and Remus are now ashamed of what
> they did, but can't bring themselves to admit it to Harry (and/or
> themselves), and thus try to gloss over things.

Does this go along with the YA theme of "adults you used to trust aren't
always trustworthy even when they want to be"? I mean, finding out that
your admired grown-ups were jerks, or even put you into danger because
they wanted to keep you safe via ignorance, is a common non-fantasy
theme in YA books...

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net