[DWJ] Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Fri Jul 20 16:07:09 EDT 2007

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 17:42:57 +0100, Phil Boswell wrote:

>On 20/07/07, Melissa Proffitt <Melissa at proffitt.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 20:45:55 +0100, Phil Boswell wrote:

>> >Even so, I don't recall any textev that the Marauders treated anybody
>> >else as badly as they did Snape: do you?
>> Is there even any evidence they treated anyone else badly at all? Everything
>> up to that point is about them playing harmless Weasley Twin tricks.
>
>That was kind of my point in that question: Dorian's "and maybe
>others" suggests that the Marauders might have been randomly hexing
>just anyone they happened upon, rather than focussing upon a single
>individual.

I was actually going in the other direction--that this could have been a
one-time thing--but I doubt it.  It's mentioned later that the Levicorpus
hex was so popular that you couldn't walk down a hallway without seeing more
than one person swept upside down and dangling.  I'm not suggesting the
Marauders didn't do those random hexes; I'm saying that the instance Snape
remembers is clear unadulterated bullying.  It's qualitatively different
from a random hex.  Lily Evans certainly doesn't see it as harmless; her
reaction is another point that suggests this is a more serious event than
your average pranking.  I can't tell whether her comments about how awful
James is are based just in this one incident or come from past experience;
that could make a difference in evaluating his character.

>> Still...it does point back to the bully thing; many bullies choose a single
>> victim to concentrate their efforts on.  And the aforementioned animosity
>> would explain why it was Snape.
>
>There is textev to suggest that the "efforts" did not all go in one
>direction: how did they *know* that Snape already knew more curses
>when he arrived than many seventh-year pupils unless he demonstrated
>them?

Again, does that mean they're *less* bullies because Snape is a jerk too?
None of this exonerates Snape from whatever behavior he might have gotten up
to himself.  For all we know Snape spent his leisure hours pulling the wings
off butterflies and hexing small children to spin around 'til they vomit.
That would be a good excuse to either stay away from him or stop him from
doing such things.  It's not a good excuse to simply humiliate him.  Lily's
reaction is exactly what I'd expect from a decent person--your victim may be
a jerk and a potential Dark sorcerer, but you're worse to get off on making
him suffer.

>Also bear in mind that we find out later that the "Levicorpus" hex
>which is used against Snape is apparently one of his own inventions.
>You have to wonder how they found out about that one: one assumes that
>Snape didn't tell them because he liked them...

I was wondering whether Snape had ever used Sectumsempra on anyone.  You'd
think something like that would have been talked about, but give it twenty
years and it could have been hushed up.

Melissa Proffitt