[DWJ] Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Phil Boswell phil.boswell at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 15:45:55 EDT 2007

On 19/07/07, Dorian E. Gray <israfel at eircom.net> wrote:
> Melissa said...
> >This was the book where I felt sorry for Snape, and if you've read it,
> >you'll probably know why:  Harry witnesses Snape's humiliation at his own
> >father's and Sirius's hands, and it makes him question what he's always
> >believed about his father (p. 640-649).  James and Sirius start picking on
> >Snape--get this!--because they're BORED.  Yeah, that's a noble reason.
> >Jerks.
> Oh yes.  James Potter et al are bullies, pure and simple.  One might argue
> that that was a one-off, but I don't buy that.  They're what? - about 15,
> 16, at that point.  You don't randomly start tormenting someone for fun at
> that age; they've probably been bullying Snape (and maybe others) since they
> all started at Hogwarts.

It's not random, and it's not *just* for fun: the animosity between
Slytherin and Gryffindor is well established. Look at the tactics
wielded in this and other books in connection with Quidditch: random
hexing in the corridors, Snape himself turning a blind eye to obvious
and blatant abuse by members of his house.

Don't forget, Snape was also hanging out with a bad bunch..."almost
all of whom turned out to be Death-Eaters" if i recall correctly.

Also bear in mind that this was occurring during the mid-70s, when
teenagers were wont to be somewhat rambunctious in the Muggle world.
Little surprise if their counterparts at Hogwarts went a-rumbling
occasionally, even given the purported separation between Muggle and
Wizarding world: you'll observe that the younger generation always
seem rather better informed, not to mention better dressed than their
parents ;-)

Even so, I don't recall any textev that the Marauders treated anybody
else as badly as they did Snape: do you?
--
Phil