[DWJ] Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Thu Jul 19 15:39:33 EDT 2007

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 19:35:08 +0100, Dorian E. Gray wrote:

>Melissa said...

>>Sirius and Remus's explanation for the incident is not convincing to me,
>>amounting as it does to "Kids are jerks, what can you do?" (p. 670-1)
>>Because in my experience, that kind of casual cruelty doesn't necessarily
>>go
>>away with maturity and adulthood.  Sirius's excuse in particular doesn't
>>wash:  "'James and Snape hated each other from the moment they set eyes on
>>each other, it was just one of those things'" (p. 670).
>
>No, it doesn't wash.  But...maybe Sirius and Remus are now ashamed of what
>they did, but can't bring themselves to admit it to Harry (and/or
>themselves), and thus try to gloss over things.

That's certainly possible.  I also thought that maybe from several years'
distance it doesn't look so bad to them, in light of the awful things
they've been through..."ah, what larks we had back in those days!" and all
that.

>Nor do I buy the suggestion that Lily's disapproval turned James away from
>bullying, which ISTR is either stated or suggested.

Yeah, because it didn't mean all that much to them during this incident, did
it?

Melissa Proffitt