[DWJ] Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

HSchinske at aol.com HSchinske at aol.com
Thu Jul 19 12:45:24 EDT 2007

In a message dated 7/19/2007 3:01:38 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, Esther
writes:

Something is also wrong with Hermione's organization,
SPEW.   Hermione is shown as being seriously in earnest
about her mission. She does  not say that she's chosen
that ridiculous acronym on purpose (because  it's
striking or absurd or for any other reason.  But she's
too  smart either to have chosen it by accident, or to
keep it once others have  pointed out what the acronym
is.

May I point out that the entirely respectable Society for Promoting  the
Employment of Women (founded 1859) had the same acronym for many  years? I'm
fairly sure Rowling knew this. (And it wasn't that Victorians  were somehow too
uptight to let themselves notice -- Charlotte Yonge  parodies SPEW's name in _The
Clever Woman of the Family_.)

Helen Schinske