[DWJ] Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Wed Jul 18 23:20:44 EDT 2007

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 21:48:23 +0200, Katarina Hjärpe wrote:

>I recall a conversation where someone argued that this was *not* the case. I
>don't know brownie lore very well, but the way it works with the Swedish
>vättar/tomtar (and I got the impression that British lore was similar), the
>loyalty is to the location, not to the people.

According to what Sirius says about Kreacher in the fifth book, house-elves
ARE attached to the house; it's just that wizards who have high enough
status to keep them tend to live in the same houses forever (that last is my
inference).  I don't know a lot about brownie lore either, but my impression
is that there are a great many stories about household spirits that modern
writers can draw on.  Jim Butcher is using some ideas closer to Rowling's
concept in the Dresden books; Jan Siegel's _Prospero's Children_ seems more
like the Swedish idea.  I think it's likely that you could take all these
stories and trace them back to an original idea somewhere, but I don't know
what that would be.

Melissa Proffitt