[DWJ] characters

Kathleen Jennings kathleen.jennings at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 08:06:04 EDT 2007

> Katta said:
> >that an interesting character is
> almost always more likeable as a character, whether or not you'd like him as
> a person.
>
> So, what is the thing that puts you off a major character AS a character?

I agree with Sallyo about gratuituous cruelty. There has been at least
one book I never finished as a child (unusual for me) because the main
character slammed the door on a cat's tail. Now I would persevere, but
it would still rankle.

And being too obviously a type. For me, that type is usually the
handsome, tortured, brooding, dark-haired hero. Not necessarily
Byronic, just... romantic. Like Thorn in Cecilia Dart-Thornton's
books. It doesn't mean they can't still work for me, but they have to
prove that they're not trying to get by on their looks. There are two,
and neither main characters, I can think of who manage to do so - the
bard who dies in the Prydain books (Aiden?) and Rhonabwy in Gillian
Polack's *Illuminations*, in searching for whose name I came across
this list of ten things that bother me in books
(http://www.upsaid.com/silverfish/index.php?action=viewcom&id=806).

Kathleen.