LMB (was Re: [DWJ] Burbling and an introduction)

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Sun Jul 15 00:04:16 EDT 2007

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007, Kyla Mackay-Smith wrote:
> I can't find where I read it, but I feel that LMB has said that the first
> *idea* of Cordelia and Aral was as a red-headed Federation scientist and a
> Klingon officer, but that changed quickly and she never wrote the Star
> Trek version of it. And, of course, _Shards of Honor_ has a lot more
> influences than Star Trek--Lillian Stewart Carl's introduction in
> _Dreamwaver's Dilemma_ says that Aral Vorkosigan also comes from Ignatius
> Loyola, Winston Churchill, and Athos, as portrayed by Oliver Reed in the
> 1972 movie.

That makes much sense.  One of the things I love about both LMB
and about fanfic is the utter willingness to wallow in the
emotional, so I see the ties.  But I can absolutely see Klingons
in the roots of Barrayar.

-deborah
--
"You do not have to do everything disagreeable that you have a
right to do." 		-- Judith Martin (Miss Manners)