[DWJ] characters

Sally Odgers sodgers at iinet.net.au
Fri Jul 13 22:46:54 EDT 2007

Katta said:
>that an interesting character is
almost always more likeable as a character, whether or not you'd like him as
a person.

So, what is the thing that puts you off a major character AS a character?

I think I go for sheer stupidity or gratuitous cruelty. I'm not thinking the
sort of blind spot that Sophie has about her self image, or even
impulsiveness, but the stupid behaviour that gets characters into trouble
and endangers others.  "Stay hidden" seems a reasonable suggestion if there
are hitmen prowling, so the character who wilfully sticks his/her head out
the window ... grrr. Gratuitous cruelty comes not only in the usual form,
but in wilfully withholding information someone else needs or wants, just
because, and also in giving opinions as fact.

Sallyo