LMB (was Re: [DWJ] Burbling and an introduction)

Kyla Mackay-Smith kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Fri Jul 13 07:51:01 EDT 2007

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 deborah.dwj at suberic.net wrote:

> For anyone who is amenable to fanfiction and wo craves more
> Miles, there is an absolutely fabulous fanfiction novel called _A
> Deeper Season_ which forks off after _Memory_.

Ooh, thanks for the rec! I'll check it out.

> As an interesting aside, _Shards of Honor_ started life as fanfic
> (Star Trek, I think) which LMB filed the serial numbers off of
> and polished for publication. (And she is perforce fine with
> people ficcing her work, as long as they don't send it to her or
> ask her to read it.)

I can't find where I read it, but I feel that LMB has said that the first
*idea* of Cordelia and Aral was as a red-headed Federation scientist and a
Klingon officer, but that changed quickly and she never wrote the Star
Trek version of it. And, of course, _Shards of Honor_ has a lot more
influences than Star Trek--Lillian Stewart Carl's introduction in
_Dreamwaver's Dilemma_ says that Aral Vorkosigan also comes from Ignatius
Loyola, Winston Churchill, and Athos, as portrayed by Oliver Reed in the
1972 movie.