[DWJ] Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, part 1

LWilkinson at slv.vic.gov.au LWilkinson at slv.vic.gov.au
Thu Jul 12 21:19:17 EDT 2007

The whole wizard/muggle apartheid thing is, I think, where JKR's
worldbuilding completely collapses. If the Weasleys don't know anything
about the muggles, then:

Is there a Wizard supermarket nearby where they get their food/toilet
paper/tampons/washing powder etc?
Where do the kids buy their jeans and tshirts from?
Where did the Weasley kids go to Primary School? (and if they were
home-schooled, did they have any other wizarding friends?)
And what about libraries, dentists, doctors, furniture-makers, glaziers,
hairdressers, beauty parlours, cafes, restaurants (does Molly really have
to cook EVERY night? They never just get pizza?) etc etc etc?

Surely Diagon Alley isn't that long...

I'm loving these essays, Melissa. Lots of food for thought. (and lots of
thoughts about food...)

Lili
(who is back to the list after a very long and busy absence that involved
writing three books)

Lili Wilkinson
Inside a Dog Project Manager & Event Coordinator
Centre for Youth Literature
State Library of Victoria
328 Swanston Street
Melbourne VIC 3000