[DWJ] Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, part 1

Phil Boswell phil.boswell at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 18:22:01 EDT 2007

On 12/07/07, Melissa Proffitt <Melissa at proffitt.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 14:11:32 +0100, Phil Boswell wrote:
> >On 12/07/07, Melissa Proffitt <Melissa at proffitt.com> wrote:
> >She's only 10 or 11 years old at this point. That's a period when you
> >see a huge variation in size between children.
> My point is that the phrase "small girl" is usually synonymous with "child"
> or even "young child."  Ginny is certainly small for her age, but even at 10
> her social and mental maturity would distinguish her from a younger girl. In
> my 11-year-old daughter's school class, there are a few very tall kids (mine
> included) and two (male and female) who are significantly smaller than the
> rest, but no one would think of them as small; they might instead be called
> "short."  I agree that in a literal sense "small" is accurate, but I seem to
> associate that term with development rather than height.

This could be a "UK English" thing. As far as I am concerned, a "small
girl" is a girl who is small.

> >Quirrell died at the end of the first book, so this isn't actually the
> >first time. Not quite as obviously as in the film, but just as dead.
> (I read Quirrell's death as
> either his own dumb fault or a fatal accident for which Harry is the
> proximate cause.)

Not the first, but some of the second: the contact with Harry was
sufficient to force Voldemort to vacate Quirrell's body, which had
been damaged in any case by the possession (Voldemort reveals in the
graveyard sequence in GoF that possession is very rough on the
subject). Rather than exert any extra effort to save his erstwhile
minion, Voldemort exercises one of the possible translations of his
name and literally "flees from death". We're not told the exact cause
of death out of the several possible.

> It's good to see people are actually reading these essays.  :)

It's good to have something to which I can respond with some degree of
knowledge: my DWJ books are in storage for the foreseeable and my
memories are dimmer than I would like.
--
Phil