[DWJ] Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, part 2

Phil Boswell phil.boswell at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 12:26:16 EDT 2007

On 12/07/07, Melissa Proffitt <Melissa at proffitt.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 10:23:12 -0400, Hendon, Alison wrote:
[snip]
> >The Polyjuice Potion however is a real problem for me in later books.
> >In CS Rowling has created some rules for the potion - it takes x days to
> >make; it has to be drunk within x minutes of completion; etc.  In later
> >books she has a character escaping from prison through the polyjuice
> >potion and impersonating another teacher, and I just don't logically see
> >how they could keep making it and taking it in the required timeframes.
> The fun challenge for writing these essays is trying to keep my knowledge of
> things that happen later from affecting my reactions to the earlier books. I
> know when I read the fourth book I'd forgotten almost everything about
> Polyjuice Potion except what it was for, so I just took those events at face
> value.  I should probably remember to keep your point in mind and see if
> there really is a way for it to all work logically, or if Rowling just
> forgot.

If I recall correctly (and I've just re-read GOF so I darn-well
should) there was an appreciable delay in which the Potion could be
made. LV and WT found out about BCJ (cryptic initials for the
spoiler-aware, should be obvious to those already in the know) when
they ran into BJ; this would have to have been sometime during
June/July 1994 (according to the consensus timeline from the Lexicon).
>From what I can tell, the most stringent limitation might be that the
lacewing flies have to be stewed for 21 days; all the other
ingredients could presumably be obtained somehow (the difficulties
encountered by the kids in Book 2 being put down to having to steal
them from Snape ;-) and added at the appropriate time. I don't recall
there being any particular expiry conditions.

HTH HAND
--
Phil