[DWJ] Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, part 2

Thu Jul 12 11:54:53 EDT 2007

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 10:23:12 -0400, Hendon, Alison wrote:

>Melissa Profitt wrote:
>>And that's my conclusion, as well: J.K. Rowling is an insanely creative
>person.  She comes up with ideas that have shape and form and a lot of
>>possibilities.  Most of them, she uses well--I forgot to bring up
>earlier how much I liked the Polyjuice Potion and Hermione's
>"exploration" of a
> >possible side effect (p. 225-6).  And that's my conclusion, as well:
>J.K. Rowling is an insanely creative person.  She comes up with ideas
>that have
>>shape and form and a lot of possibilities.  Most of them, she uses
>well--I forgot to bring up earlier how much I liked the Polyjuice Potion
>and
>>Hermione's "exploration" of a possible side effect (p. 225-6).
>
>The Polyjuice Potion however is a real problem for me in later books.
>In CS Rowling has created some rules for the potion - it takes x days to
>make; it has to be drunk within x minutes of completion; etc.  In later
>books she has a character escaping from prison through the polyjuice
>potion and impersonating another teacher, and I just don't logically see
>how they could keep making it and taking it in the required timeframes.

The fun challenge for writing these essays is trying to keep my knowledge of
things that happen later from affecting my reactions to the earlier books. I
know when I read the fourth book I'd forgotten almost everything about
Polyjuice Potion except what it was for, so I just took those events at face
value.  I should probably remember to keep your point in mind and see if
there really is a way for it to all work logically, or if Rowling just
forgot.

Melissa Proffitt